The Seventieth Street Synagogue was built in 1896
As New York City continued to grow and the population moved northward, Shearith Israel built this magnificent building on 70th Street and Central Park West. The architect of this building was Arnold Brunner, an American-born Jewish architect with a distinguished career.
This building that we are in now is built in the style of Spanish and Portuguese congregations. The reader’s desk is toward the center of the room. According to our tradition, the floor boards of the reader’s desk date back to the reader’s desk in our Mill Street Synagogue, highlighting the continuity of the generations in Shearith Israel. The clergy of the congregation sit on the semicircular bench at the reader’s desk. The President and Vice President of the synagogue sit on the benches against the East wall. Sermons are given from the pulpit. There is a choir loft above the Ark, and a professional choir participates in services each Friday evening and Shabbat morning, as well as on holidays. The steps leading up to the Ark are of Numidian marble. The wall surrounding the Ark is made of Sienna marble. The Louis Tiffany studios crafted the stained glass windows. Four lamps on the eastern walls were dedicated to the memory of members who lost their lives during the First World War. At the entrance to the synagogue, there are two millstones that were from Mill Street, the location of the town miller during the early colonial period. They were taken from the site of our first Mill Street synagogue as a reminder of our historic roots in the city.